Saturday, November 27, 2010

"Jiim" & You (2 boys) in Gibraltar

Entumae is you (two men).  It kind of sounds like "And Two Men!" or more literally, it's an "End to May!"  Or more imaginatively, an "End to Mayo."  The two boys in Gibraltar (you two boys) are going to bring and "End to Mayo" in Europe by serving as a weigh station to import Harissa (hot chili spread in North Africa) into Europe!

When I take the short bus ride from the ferry to the market downtown in Gibraltar, I'm amazed to meet two young men in their late teens, boys really, running a Harissa factory.

I.  "Hey guys," I call out, "I would like to invite you two to sit down to a cup of coffee with me if you don't mind.

II.  "I have to say, you boys really embody the old spirit of Mediterranean merchants combined with that of modern industrialist setting up this Harissa factory here in Gibraltar.

III.  "I hear you two have been neighbors here in Gibraltar for the last couple of years, and that is how you met and started this business.  Is that right?" I asked.

IV.  One of the two answered affirmatively, while the other who hadn't spoken at all yet, continued to remain silent.

V.  It then became clear to me that the other boy didn't actually know what I was asking because he didn't understand my American English accent.  I then asked the other boy how his partner's English was.

VI.  He passed his written exams in written English that he has to take in the British school system here, the first boy said, but he's from North Africa actually, and he didn't grow up speaking English.  But that's why he did grow up eating Harissa which he introduced me to.

VII.  I like it so much, he had the idea of turning it into a business, and then I got drug into it with him to deal with more of the English and Spanish speakers we work with since he mainly speaks Arabic and French.

VIII.  Well, I can see that you guys have both been working hard and well together, and that you have overcome a lot of obstacles in setting up this business so quickly.  If you keep growing this fast, I think there is and "end to Mayo" in sight as the European choice for sandwich spreads.

X.  Thank you for how you granted me a reply to all of my questions.  I will let you guys get back to work now.  I can see that you're very busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment